Minneapolis Jeff Galloway Kickoff Event

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Entry 3: I Run for the Love of It

I have to chuckle because not even one minute into the first quietness of the day at 10:41pm and already my blog fog is lifting. I know what I want to articulate.

In order to bypass the hype and self-imposed pressure that comes along with my endeavors, I must purpose to endeavor for the love of it.

I run for the love of it.
I write for the love of it.
I blog for the love of it.

With my first post-half marathon run more than a week ago, I've been patiently sitting on this post. I've ran a few runs over the last ten days including a perfect birthday run as well as a 10k guided tour run of St. Paul. I've also been able to enjoy watching my daughter in her first year of track in the evenings. Honestly, watching her long legs go got me laced up quicker than I thought.

It took more than two weeks to lace up after the half marathon and I'm so glad I patiently waited for the desire to run instead of forcing any running. My first post run was probably the best run I have ever had. I enjoyed every moment of movement. I felt light on my legs; almost graceful like I was dancing instead of running. The in and out rhythm of my breathing was music to my ears instead of labor. No piriformis or calf pain. Even the sweat on my shoulders felt less sticky. I was running because it's something I love to do.

Running on my birthday last week was even better. My sister visiting from Atlanta joined me. It was a perfect and blessed early morning run. Though hard work, running is still such a gift to myself. Every single run comes with an award be it mental, physical, emotional, away time, medal, or t-shirt. Being able to do something for myself that I love was the best birthday gift.

My visiting sister gave me another gift. On Saturday, we completed a guided 10k tour of St. Paul. It was an ideal laid back 10k since she's gearing up for the July 4 Peachtree Road Race 10k and I'm in laid back mode. The tour was given by City Running Tours http://www.cityrunningtours.com/. I couldn't ask for a cooler 10k. There was no need for music because the guide spoke the entire time we ran. A portion of the run was on the Twin Cities Marathon route. We passed the governor's mansion, St. Paul Cathedral, State Capitol, through downtown,  and historic Summit and Grand Avenues. The tour was amazing! St. Paul is a beautiful city! The tour included a final power-push toward the end at mile 5 when we trekked up the Ramsey Street, an incredibly steep hill by anyone's standards in a neighborhood full of Victorian's and rich history.

My sister and me on our guided tour.
I love being able to do the things I love to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment