Minneapolis Jeff Galloway Kickoff Event

Friday, July 6, 2012

Entry 5: I Run to Fulfill a Legacy

My father, Richard Marion Wallace, passed away almost 7 years ago. I like to believe that anyone who had the opportunity to meet my father was lucky especially on a day when he was smiling joyously. His smile was a blessing as was his spirit and giving. The last sermon I heard him preach, which has stayed with me, was about flight. I have grieved and am ready to fly with his legacy as my tail wind. I search for my purpose, raise my children, and run along the way considering the ways I can practice kindness, love and service in reverence to my father's legacy.


One of my fondest memories of time that my father and I spent together was at the track across the street from Luther Seminary where we lived. That was more than twenty years ago when he gave me my first running lesson. I remember his skinny legs in high shorts and white knee-length socks with a wide blue stripe around the calf. Daddy was smarter than anyone I knew except my mom, so the lesson was purely technical. I still hear his voice booming into my ears during runs. "Pump your arms! Lift your knees!" 


My father was a Lutheran minister and professor. A lot of his sermons are still etched in my heart, particularly the last one I heard. As his daughter, I was so blessed by his light. He was a light-worker and his greatest tools were kindness, love, and service. In addition to his running lessons and sermons, I recall how much he spread himself out. He always had a story about people in need of prayer. He made visits no matter the ailment, the situation, time of day, or the place. Personally, I am grateful for the people in my life to whom he has offered love and forgiveness. Daddy's acts of service were in service to Christ. 


One way my father served for many years was to give blood. Countless times Daddy would come home with a bandage in the crook of his arm visiting the  Red Cross that day. I even recall that he had a less common blood type making his blood more sought after. When the Red Cross needed my father, he was there. If that isn't responding to who God calls us to be, I don't know what is.


In my own search for purpose including a purpose for running, I have decided to run a quarter marathon (6.55 miles) on July 28. It's called the Run for Blood. My personal donation is $35, however, I am asking anyone who reads this to donate to the Red Cross for the sake of continuing in my father's steps. Please give. Although my father is no longer here, his spirit of kindness, love, and service are alive and thriving. If you click on this link, Support Erica and the Red Cross, it will take you to my personal page where you can donate to the Red Cross.


Run with Purpose!

1 comment:

  1. That's just a little more than a 10K, right? You can totally do that! I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's not hot that day. Do you need any fans to come out and cheer you on? If so, let me know where and when, and I'll be there for you.

    ReplyDelete