Minneapolis Jeff Galloway Kickoff Event

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Passionate Journey

This week has been full! What I've learned is that no matter if I feel success or failure at my attempts along the road, I'm still on a journey. I'm reminded to embrace the journey because the journey is the reward!



I love to read quotes when my own insight is not fully developed or articulated, and am beginning to form a notion. Two separate, yet extraordinary experiences this week have led to my search for correlating quotes regarding success and failure.

Dictionary.com defines success as the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors. 

Failure is to fall short of success or achievement in something expected, attempted, desired, or approved. Also, to be or become deficient or lacking, be insufficient or absent; fall short.

Success Quotes

To follow, without halt, one aim. There's the secret of success. - Anna Pavlova

Of course there is no formula for success except perhaps an unconditional acceptance of life and what it brings. - Arthur Rubinstein

Find somebody to be successful for. Raise their hopes. Think of their needs. - Barack Obama

What's money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do. - Bob Dylan

Real success is finding your lifework in the work that you love. - David McCullough

Failure Quotes

Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt. - William Shakespeare

Failure is blindness to the strategic elements in events; success is readiness for instant action when the opportune moment arrives. - Newell D. Hillis

I was never afraid of failure, for I would sooner fail than not be among the best. - John Keats

Many of life's failures are men who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Anonymous

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. - Truman Capote

Experience 1
Every Wednesday during the half marathon training my sister and I have undertaken consists of a speed workout. I call them Speed Wednesdays and they are the most anxiety-filled days. Not only do the physical symptoms of anxiety surface while I prepare to leave home, but through-out the run as well.

This past Wednesday called for a 6 mile fartlek run: 2 mile warm up, 3 miles of fartleks (4 minutes of speed and 1 minute rest repeats), and 1 mile cool down. My sister and I have correctly nicknamed this the "Holy Shit" workout. Right around mile 3 of the run, toward the end of the second fartlek interval, I arrived at a stop light at the intersection of Cedar Avenue at Lake Nokomis. At this point, my mind veers off to a severely dark place and it begins to scream at me to turn around and walk home. At the same time, some other side of myself, my spirit I believe, fights and forces my body to stand still; to let the darkness run its course. Deep down I know walking home will feel awful later. I also realize that I can't come home and text my sister with this outcome. She's in Georgia running the same "Holy Shit" workout at the same time. It takes me a full 3 minutes to get my mind, body, and spirit act together. The instant my mind clicks back to reality, I sprint across the street not caring that the light is red and continue to fartlek the last 30 seconds of the interval. My planned mantra for the run, "push fear" played out in my head for the remaining 3 miles. At one point, I even ran with my hands out in front of me pushing it away. 

On the brink of failure, fear tried to take hold. I succeeded anyway and made it back home walking, not crawling through my front door. The panic attack was such a necessary part of the run. It was no different than tackling a hill.

Experience 2
Yesterday, my son, Manny made my Friday. Imagine with four of my own children and an additional that I provide daycare for, I am exhausted and at the end of my patience rope by Friday. Actually, I'm done by Thursday at 4pm. This Friday was no different. Manny is my son who is always at either a level 1 - happy-go-lucky, high on life; or level 10 - pounding the floor temper tantrum. There's no in between for him. Obviously, I love his level 1, however that includes climbing on the furniture, doing flips, and begging to turn on and off the lights by yelling "off" in his most outside voice. Additionally, Manny and his brother are about 90% potty-trained. They're wearing pull-ups only at night. Manny was on level 1 for most of the day and must have felt a moment of complete clarity because he walked right up to me and said "potty" for the first time ever! Neither of the boys had yet to verbally express their need to use the bathroom since training began in February.  So far, they've only danced around when they have to potty.

The potty training road has been a journey filled with ups and downs and lots of success. I'm so proud of my boys for catching on so quickly. Their steps toward independence are bitter sweet of course, however, I am so lucky to be their guide. 



No comments:

Post a Comment